I have listened to a lot of media coverage, read a lot of blogs, and debated with people on forums regarding the outcome of the Zimmerman trial. Now, the first juror has spoken and has confirmed everything that I have been saying. However, before we get to the reasons George Zimmerman is not guilty of anything more than self-defense, let’s consider the Stand Your Ground law in Florida.
Stand Your Ground (SYG henceforth) does not GIVE you a right to defend yourself. It is designed to PROTECT your right to defend yourself. The law was enacted the very type of situation Zimmerman found himself in. You are being threatened with bodily injury or death and you defend yourself. Zimmerman never intended his defense to be lethal, but it turned out that way. The SYG law protects people in just such a situation from bullshit prosecution and imprisonment. The jurors understood that clearly and calling them “confused” is both condescending and wrong. In fact, calling the jurors “confused” only makes the media look:
A. Stupid and confused themselves
Now, let’s briefly (in bullet points) go over the EVIDENCE in the trial.
- Trayvon Martin was acting suspiciously and George Zimmerman called 911 to report this activity. Zimmerman was on the citizen’s watch and there had been a rash of break-ins, so this would not have been an unusual action in any way, shape, or form.
- Zimmerman followed Martin to ensure he knew where he was so that he could inform the police when they arrived (which took far too long). He says as much on the 911, lamenting the fact that the police never arrive swiftly and that “these assholes always get away.” Despite the doctoring my the media, this is what the tape actually says. The medial who doctored the tape should absolutely be brought up on charges of tampering with evidence, attempting to incite a riot, and hate crimes. I hope George Zimmerman sues and wins.
- Zimmerman was ASKED by the 911 operator to identify Martin’s race as part of the overall description. He said nothing about race prior to that point, only that someone was acting suspiciously and appeared to be on drugs (the second point we now know to be completely accurate – Martin was one drugs).
- The 911 operator never told Zimmerman to stop following Martin, only that they “don’t need you to do that.” Zimmerman indicated he wanted to be able to tell police where Martin was when they arrived and was concerned that he was walking not on the sidewalk, but through yards and nearer to houses than necessary.
- Zimmerman, at some point, was attacked by Martin who punched Zimmerman in the face and then began to slam his head into the pavement. This alone is bodily injury and falls under the SYG law. For the idiots who think Zimmerman had to be sure that Martin was reaching for Zimmerman’s gun before SYG applies, you are dead wrong and stupid to boot. When you attempt to beat someone, expect to suffer the consequences.
- Zimmerman fired ONCE, indicating no anger or hatred, but only a desire to protect his life.
- Police testified that Zimmerman seemed surprised that Martin was dead, suggesting he had no intention of killing him.
- Race never entered into this until the media started calling Zimmerman a “White Hispanic,” a label he has never been asked about and which has never before been used by the media until it became a convenient way of inflaming a race issue.
- Martin uttered racists comments on the phone, which were repeated in court, including phrases like “nigga” and “cracker.” Both were used by Martin in reference to Zimmerman, suggesting the only racist in this whole situation was Martin himself.
To add to all of this, the FBI investigated and found no evidence of racial motivation on the part of Zimmerman and no indication that he is or ever has been racist. In fact, the only race issues in this case have been people like Al Sharpton insisting that it is about race. My take on that is that Mr. Sharpton is racist himself if he insists that any time a person defends himself or herself against a black person that is must be racially motivated.
Think about it this way. You or your son or daughter follows a person through your own neighborhood while waiting for police to show up and do their job. The person being followed decides to attack you or your son or daughter and is slamming that person’s head into the ground, which can potentially kill. You have a gun and a clear shot. What do you do? Do you let yourself, your son, your daughter die? Do you care, in that moment, about the race of the person who is slamming said head into the concrete?
The story is tragic and so is the loss of life, but two things should be abundantly clear. Martin initiated the violent encounter and Zimmerman only drew and fired when he was being beaten. That is the bottom line and anything in addition to that is just hype. The jury came to the same conclusion, based on all the evidence presented to them. For once, justice has been done.
P.S. – To those rioting in the streets: If you attack my car, I will run you over. If you threaten my life, I will respond with force (lethal if necessary). I don’t care how angry you are. You have no right to threaten or intimidate others, especially those who had nothing to do with the trial.
P.P.S. – Threatening to kill white people is racist and should be treated as a hate crime.
P.P.P.S. – Any threats of violence against a person should be taken seriously. If you threaten George Zimmerman, his family, the jurors, anyone who testified, the defense team, etc. – you will likely be investigated by the FBI and I hope, beyond all hope, that you spend some time in prison and learn a little something about how a civilized citizen should act.
P.P.P.P.S – One last question. Assume for a moment that Zimmerman was unarmed and that Martin had continued to beat him. What then? Would that be racist on Martin’s part? What if Zimmerman had died? Is Martin then a murderer? Is it only racist if he had killed Zimmerman? Why can’t Zimmerman defend himself, regardless of the color of skin of his attacker?